Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fools Joliet MX practice


Today I made my way out to the local track to shoot some practice.  I was mainly going out to practice some stuff of my own. I have been working on panning a lot the last couple races I've went to, and I was able to really nail some stuff today. I am pretty stoked how they turned out. 
The first race of the season for JolietMX will be next weekend on the 7th.  I will be out there for sure, bringing the full race report.  Some fast riders were out today and I'm looking forward to see everyone out next weekend giving it their all. 

So back to my practice I did today.  Those unfamiliar with panning, it is basically what it sounds like.  Instead of shooting at a fast shutter speed like 1/600+ to stop motion in its tracks, you are shooting at a slow shutter speed and panning the camera to follow the subject.  Hitting the shutter at just the right time, while you are moving the camera with the subject will result in the rider being frozen in place and the background completely smeared. 
Little panning action out at the track today I started out messing around at 1/200 shutter speed and was getting some decent results. I ended my adventure at 1/80 shutter speed, I had to go up to f8 at this point. The above photo was at 1/80.  Once I started being able to nail it pretty regularly I got out of there for the day.  Not a ton of people showed up, it rained last night so I think some thought the track might have been closed.

Keep an eye out next weekend for race coverage, and check out the rest of the shots I got today while I was out!




















All my photos from the day can viewed on my website ShiftOnePhoto.com

No comments:

Post a Comment